Wish people would take your advice? Want more influence on those around you? Feel like your insight goes to waste? Then this episode is for you!
Steve walks us through what Motivational Interviewing is, and how it’s basically real-life magic. The various techniques that enable you to actively engage with those around you while more tactfully getting them to consider your advice.
- We have a Discord Server! Please join to speak directly with us and other idea-addicts!
- Find more from Phil at HittingEject.com and MakeASkillCheck.com
- Find more from Steve at SteveRosePhD.com
- Reach out to us at ConceptsWithPhilAndSteve@gmail.com
- This episode was edited by AJP_Productions.
- Motivational Interviewing
- Pros & Concepts Episode 34 – Fear of Hope
- Ross Ellenhorn, PhD
- Talking Past the Sale (Not Thinking Past the Sale): After the person has already committed to taking the action you want (aka buying, agreeing), you continue to tell them the benefits and can get them to change their mind.
- PACE: Partnership, Acceptance, Compassion, Empathy
- Unconditional Positive Regard (Carl Rogers): the basic acceptance and support of a person regardless of what the person says or does, especially in the context of client-centred therapy.
- Sampling Bias: a bias in which a sample is collected in such a way that some members of the intended population have a lower or higher sampling probability than others. It results in a biased sample of a population (or non-human factors) in which all individuals, or instances, were not equally likely to have been selected.
- Mr Fred Rogers
- “They’re just misinformed, evil, or stupid!” – Calling back to our Naive Realism episode
- Jeff Goldblum Meme: Original, Explanation
- Open-Ended Questions: a question that cannot be answered with a “yes” or “no” response, or with a static response. Open-ended questions are phrased as a statement which requires a longer response
- Chris Voss (Book: Never Split the Difference)
- Active Listening: the practice of preparing to listen, observing what verbal and non-verbal messages are being sent, and then providing appropriate feedback for the sake of showing attentiveness to the message being presented.
- Dale Carnegie – How to Make Friends and Influence People (Youtube Audiobook for free, but likely limited time)
- Open-ended questions
- Four Processes
- William Miller – Youtube Video
- Stephen Rollnick – Youtube Video
In this episode, Steve leads the charge to discuss the concept of Sanctuary Trauma “occurs when an individual who suffered a severe stressor next encounters what was expected to be a supportive and...
In this episode, we have the amazing Zoe Bee on to discuss the idea of Pain, focusing on how political stances view and address it. We concisely define pain as: Physical and mental suffering.